Anthony Garder - Bristol Savages 2015 Gouache, San Geremia, Venice
DescriptionDrawn as part of a Bristol Savages Two Hour Sketch (label on the reverse). Laid to backing card measuring 30 x 39.5 cm. Signed and inscribed. On wove.
In fine condition.
20.3 x 29.2cm (8" x 11.5")
The Bristol Savages group was founded in 1894 by Ernest Ehlers who invited his fellow Bristol-based artists to spend a friendly evening in his studio to work and talk. At first, meetings were held in their private studios, then as their numbers grew, in rented premises. By 1904 this led to the official founding of the Bristol Savages and the holding ever since, of similar weekly meetings between October and May each year. In 1905 the first exhibition of paintings was held at the premises of George Nichols & Co., an auctioneer in Broad Street, Bristol. During the next 14 years exhibitions were held annually in Bristol and their first permanent home was Brandon Cottage which was made available to them through the good offices of fellow member James Fuller Eberle. When the Red Lodge, Park Row came on the market in 1919, it was purchased to create headquarters for the Tribe as the collective membership is known. Annual exhibitions have continued since that date, apart from a break during World War II. Past members include etcher Stanley Anderson, painter William Titcomb and sculptor Frank Dobson.
Venice, Venice, Metropolitan City of Venice, Veneto, Italy
|Dimensions||20.3 x 29.2cm|
|Subject||Architecture & Cityscapes|
Delivery prices for this item are as follows
Remember - we combine shipping costs for multiple purchases automatically so go through to checkout for the final price.